Friday, January 15, 2010

conversations....with my boy


1. While looking at the New York Natural History Museum's Dinosaur exhibit information.

Little Dude: Mommy, i sure wish they had made a sweater.
Mommy: Who honey?
Little Dude: The dinosaurs.
Mommy: What do you mean?
Little Dude: Well if they had made themselves a sweater, they wouldn't have froze and they'd still be here with us.

(lol) he got a big hug with that one

2. While driving to preschool stuck in small town traffic.

Little Dude: Why do we do this?
Mommy: Do what?
Little Dude: Sit in traffic. We could just fly to school.
Mommy: Well you need a special license to fly a plane. Maybe you can go to schol to learn to fly a plane.
Little Dude: Yeah! (long pause) Mommy? Could you help me fly the plane?
Mommy: Sure honey, i'd be your copilot any day. :-)

The sad thing about this last one is when i told him maybe when he's older he can fly a plane a pit hit my stomach because realistically, he probably won't. He's Muslim and has a Muslim name. Muslims and planes don't go together anymore. How sad is that? He loves airplanes. Studies books on them and can tell you all the different types, spends most of his days playing with playmobil airplanes, lego airplanes, drawing airplanes and being an airplane. It bugs me that if he wants to fly a plane as a grown man, he may never get the chance because of who he is. Will things change? For my 4 year old pilot, I sure hope so.

I'm going to try posting a bit more. It's been too long!

9 Comments:

Blogger alajnabiya said...

I would hate to think that in America he couldn't become a pilot. I am sure he would have to face struggles, but it wouldn't be impossible, would it? I went through the same realization when my middle son was little. He was in love with everything that could fly, and went between wanting to be a pilot and an astronaut. But as a Palestinian growing up in the occupied territories, it couldn't be an option unless he moved to another country. The world is a sad place.

1:18 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

You're right. It is possible here, but by no means an easy thing. Especially for my super sensitive boy.

We want them to feel like they can do anything but we know the world is limited to them.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous seekingtaqwa said...

insha'allah things will change, and the world will be less blinkered than it is now....
xxx

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Jaycie said...

My very muslim husband has a very muslim name and has a pilot license. InshaAllah your LD and my LD will both be able to be whatever they want to be!

12:16 PM  
Blogger LittleBakr said...

Masha'Allah.
Too cute :)

7:13 PM  
Blogger Cindi said...

He should be able to be a pilot, he would have more background checks but there should be no legal reason for him to not be able to do that if he wants.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

3:24 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

inshAllah!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why couldn't he be a pilot, my husband is a pilot ,he's muslim and his name id Mohamad

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home