Monday, March 19, 2007

Moving

We have to move in one month apparently but the uppers still haven't told my husband exactly what the details are. We're going crazy in limbo...don't want to start working on selling our house until we know etc. My husband isn't looking forward to the move because he loves Atlanta. I've never loved Atlanta. I don't think I ever really liked it either but oddly it's home now and I don't want to go either.

Some things make me really want to leave...crime here is bigtime...there are no truly safe areas or parks. You simply cannot go to a park with your child during daytime hours here. It's just not safe to go alone. I find that extremely sad and very confining. I look forward to being able to walk in the open again and take my son to a park so he can play without worrying about getting held up. Now there's been a rash of crimes at a Whole Foods in a very nice area and also the two nicest malls here. These guys are holding up moms and the case at Whole Foods, put a gun to a 9 month pregnant woman as she got her son into his car seat. It's just too much crime here.

I don't love, or necessarily like New Jersey either. I am looking forward to hanging out with friends that I already have there, except one of them is moving away. Darnit, i scared her off. ;-)

I'm not looking forward to that stick up the butt attitude northerners tend to have. It might by better than the i-really-don't-give-a-damn attitude of the South. I long to go back West or at least mid-West. The West is the best.

There are some things I'll miss about the icky sticky South:

- Savannah, Charleston, Tennessee, Florida as easy weekend getaways.
- The History. You can't turn a corner without seeing some sign of history. Architecture too. Southern homes are beautiful. Manicured lawns, mansions with rolling green hills, etc. You just feel the history here in southern drawls, rebeliousness and general red neckiedness.
- The International Farmers Market that is open 365 days a year - this is the big one for me.... I LOVE this place. I really don't know what I'm going to do without it. I'd take a picture for you but they don't allow photography - guess because there would be so many people in there taking pictures. Here's a link about it: http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/
- Zack and Amber of Procrastination (link to the right). We've become good friends since we met in blogland a few years ago. Since then, we've both had kids who have become best friends. LD really likes their daughter and it's sad to split them up. Last weekend he sat next to her, put his arm around her and started twirling her hair. Too cute. Amber also knits and we have that in common. Also, we all go hiking and geocaching. Love that stuff. And they are Muslim. It's rare we have much in common with other Muslims in this way. We are casual and it's nice to have friends that you don't have to impress or compete with nor get judged by. A rarity. We'll miss you guys!
- The lack of snow. I miss snow but i know once i'm back in it with a kid or maybe even kids later on, it's gonna be a pain. I haven't been in snow for 3 years.
- My back yard. A nice little lake with a woodsy area...complete with ducks, geese, squirrels, a large owl, cranes, turtles, and beavers. All this and we are in the city not the burbs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home