Thursday, March 23, 2006

Where are you from?

So, i was at the doctor's office yesterday and my name is very "American" sounding. There's a common french name in it but still, it's very american too. Okay, so there i am at the doctor's office and the doctor asked what my son's name is. I told her and she got this puzzled look on her face. She repeated it exactly correct so that wasn't the problem. She then looked at me (Aisha, you are going to crack up at this!) and said "Where are you from?" I said, you mean before Atlanta? and she said yeah. I said Colorado. I could see she wasn't satisfied with this answer but didn't know what she meant. She then said "I mean, originally, where are you from?" OMG, i almost cracked up laughing but didn't want to offend the poor lady so instead said "What do you mean?" She said, "Where are you originally from?" I said, Oregon. She still looked puzzled. I seriously never thought that would happen to me. I've heard stories from my husband, Aisha, and others but i seriously didn't think it would be a possibility with me. I have no accent, i look like your basic mixed american and my name is American but because my son has a Muslim name i must be from out of this country?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home